This has been a bit rushed, but I’m currently evaluating Ipswitch WSFTP and WingFTP. So far I’ve only installed WingFTP; it’s a bit clunky (and strangely worded!) but does what it says on the tin; it tied in easly with AD and created ftp “home” folders on-the-fly as people logged in (no need to pre-create user folders). However it doesn’t seem to uninstall very well- I’ve tried twice and it’s still stuck in “Add/ Remove programs”.
Firstly I’ve only noticed this behaviour on a stand-alone server running the above version of OMSA, but it might apply to earlier versions.
I’ve been getting annoyed by OMSA requesting local admin credentials in a pop-up box before getting anywhere; I knew I was typing the right credentials in but the pop-up box keeps on appearing. The apparent fix is to “escape” out of this box and just wait for the credentials boxes to appear within the OMSA web page itself.
In the last week or so I’ve been struggling to get the SUU DVD to actually update some new Dell servers; basically, the update process never actually starts (I don’t know why- I suspect it’s an x64 v x86 issue?). However, the way around this is to click the hyperlink to the update(s) you need to apply from within the server-specific SUU window; once the page loads, not what the actual update is and switch from choosing x86 updates to x64 updates within support.euro.dell.com then just find the same named update (except this time you’ll be downloading the x64 version).
Okay this is quite a specific oddity and will only be of use to anyone inside the UK, and even then only if you’re connected to the academic ja.net network and using Internet Explorer to make video conferencing bookings.
If you’ve got anyone struggling to make a new video conferencing booking after logging in- more specifically when you try to, it says it doesn’t know who’s logged in and the only option is to try loggin in again (this gets into an infinite loop if you let it!)- try checking the bit-version of IE you’re running. It might simply be a case of switching from IE x64 to IE x86- I noticed this morning that the jvcs site worked fine on my client- both through Opera and IE- and so when I check ed on the “faulty” machine I noticed it running IE x64 by default. Switching to IE x86 seems to have resolved the problem.
Oops. While I really do feel sorry for anyone without the use of their phone (and having to fight the muddy line of resposibility) it gives me one more reason not to touch Samsung with a bargepole.
From my limited experience, their phones are rubbish (example: why can’t you turn off 3G? If you don’t surf on your phone, all 3G is is a battery drain) and their phone backup software is even worse (whenever I find they’ve updated their phone software, it seems to download at v33 modem speeds so takes all evening just to download so actually backing up the phone has to wait ’till the next day).
After installing whatever EMC calls its anti-virus scanning agent now (started life as CAVA, then I think CEPA, then CEE- Celerra Event Enabler) a couple of things to watch:
- Assign a domain user account (can just be a normal domain account, not need for raised privileges) to the EMC CAVA Service
- Make sure this user gets the “log on as a service” right in gpedit.msc on the AV scanning box
- Also make sure this user is in the local administrator’s group on that box (or at least I’ve found that our AV solution won’t work with CAVA if this isn’t the case)
First post using the wordpress app on my N8, after upgrading it to software 013.016. Which incidentally went mostly fine, it didn’t reboot at the end as cleanly as I’d hoped (the actual install worked fine) but the 8 second, vibrate-3-times reset worked and I now have quickoffice premium!