Having finally got my head around robocopy (as recommended by an anonymous commentator on this site !) here is a syntax that works for an active directory – member computer:
- robocopy "C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\USB\A folder" I:\ *.* /e /zb /copyall /eta /log:I:\backup.log /tee
The important elements here are:
- "C:\…" is the source folder; if there are spaces in the path, you must include quote marks;
- I:\ is a USB key, which is the destination path; again if this includes spaces you must use quote marks;
- *.* are they types of files you want to copy; this stands for everything, *.doc would only copy Microsoft Word documents (for example);
- /e copies the entire subfolder tree.
I’ll edit this to include all the switches when I remember.